Robinhood is one of the world's most famous trading apps, with millions of users. It has become a massive success due to two main reasons:
- Its low-cost structure (Robinhood offers commission-free investing);
- A referral program that incentivises users and influencers to share the platform.
If you follow famous financial Youtubers such as Graham Stephan or Meet Kevin, you've heard of Robinhood many times before, just like you've heard of Webull or TD Ameritrade.
Is Robinhood available in India?
Unfortunately, Robinhood is currently not available in India. The company is only available in the United States (only U.S. citizens can open an account) and hasn't shared any plans to expand to Indian territory.
While India is a vast market, Robinhood already has some competitors operating in India under a similar business model (which we cover below).
Can Indians use a VNP to use Robinhood from India?
No, Indian investors cannot use a VPN to use Robinhood from India. Upon account opening, Robinhood requires specific documentation as proof that you are a U.S. citizen.
Robinhood Alternatives in India
- Interactive Brokers: One of the world's most reputable brokers. Recently launched IBKR Global Trader, a user-friendly mobile app that targets beginner investors.
- Finvasia: a zero brokerage from India.
- Upstox: Another Indian stock brokerage that offers zero brokerage on equity delivery.
If you want to open a Robinhood account, you're in bad luck: it doesn't work in India. However, we believe that any of the brokers mentioned above will be good choices. Whether you value security and reputation or want a commission-free trading platform, the alternatives presented should be a good starting point. Explore their websites and decide for yourself!
Hope you found our breakdown helpful, and please let us know if you have any questions or feedback - we're happy to help!
A reminder that the above should not be construed as investment advice and should be considered information only. Investors should do their research and diligence about the services and opportunities best suited for their risk, returns, and impact strategy.